I planted water mint Mentha aquatica in the pond as part of an insect gardening strategy and this was joined by self-seeded wild mint Mentha arvensis in the borders. I took the opportunity to join the hoverflies in enjoying the plant by incorporating some leaves into a summer classic soup. Easy, delicious and healthy — recipe below.
- One large bunch of (wild) mint leaves, rinsed
- As many peas as required for the desired volume and consistency
- Onion and garlic (optional)
- Vegetable stock as required
- Ground black pepper to taste
Fry the garlic and onions (if using) until the latter are translucent, then add the peas until cooked through. Blend with the mint and vegetable stock to the desired consistency and season with the pepper. Set aside to cool then chill.